Monday, February 21, 2011

Candle Holder turned Hurricane Lantern

Hi blogland friends!

I've been wanting to make a homemade hurricane lantern for quite some time.  I've had these candle holders (below, only one pictured, I have two) for about, hmmm, 15 years. They were given to me for free by someone who was redecorating and didn't want them (excuse the glass vase that wandered into the picture). Yes, our outlet is upside down. No, we didn't purposely do that, the person who lived here before us decided it would be fun to make ALL the outlets upside down. Um. Yeah.


 The candle holders are kind of fancy schmancy and never really fit in anywhere in my house so have been living up in the attic. Poor things. Well, plus, our local funeral home has the Same. Exact. Ones. Yikes. So... time for a revamp!

I've been wanting a hurricane lantern and have seen tutorials on them all around blogland, so decided to make my own. First I got out tools and took apart the candle holder. I really only wanted to use the bottom third of it.


Lots of fun pieces now!

I selected the pieces I wanted to use and spray painted them. Oil. Rubbed. Bronze.
Are you surprised? I'm so predictable. I'm surprised my blog isn't called "Shades of Brown" or something like that. Hey, I like that title! Hmmmmmm. Okay where were we? Oh yes, painting. Here's the picture.



Ohhh purdy!

Then I went and pulled out a bunch of different glass vases I had from various occassions and selected one and started epoxying. First, I had to glue the round flat piece to the vase:



I decided to flip it over and put a book on top for better drying.



Dry, dry, dry.


Time to glue the second piece.
 

The wa ai ting is the hardest part! Dry time that is.

But here it is finished! Yay! This is it decorated for my February mantel. But I will be able to use it in so many different places throughout the house. I'm charged!





Another pic.



Another angle.



So there you go!

From this:



To this:


My new hurricane lamp. Yay! Thanks for looking.

Until next time,



Linking to these parties:

1 comment:

  1. This turned out great! Very inventive. Don't you love doing things for yourself?? :)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

I really love your comments and read them all!!

Blog Archive